November 5, 2005

Final Weathering

Here are the final steps for the E-100:

1. Rust and grime drips.
Turpentine and burnt Siena with some black was washed on vertical surfaces that would show drip marks and streaking.

2. Metallics.
Using enamel Testor's Steel I lightly dry brushed any areas where the primer would be worn away and would see constant use or rubbing. Areas around hatches, on the rear deck and turret sides all received this treatment. In addition the high points of the track and inner teeth of the idler wheels would be worn and shiny. I went lighter than usual on this technique since this tank would have been sitting without use for awhile.


3. A coat of dust.
Heavily thinned Tamiya Buff (a dusty beige) Acrylic was sprayed with an airbrush from about 12" away on the lower protion of the tank. Mostly on the road wheels, tracks, side skirts lower hull and the entire rear plate. I let this drift upwards slightly onto the middle of the model.

4. Satin coat.
The dead flat finish caused by the Filter Wash was really draining the contrast and life out of the paint work. I resprayed a very thin coat of Future Gloss on the upper portion of the model. This proved to be too shiny though. Read on...

5. Chalks.
To enhance my weathering and to kill the shine on certain areas, I ground up artist chalk (black, orange and brown as well as light tan) and brushed these on to certain surfaces. Mostly brushed black around areas that received my washes. The pastel dust really helped tone down the sheen and gives the finish a believable quality.

6. Re-rust the tracks.
Due to the dust coat, the tracks looked dusty but not rusty. I re-rusted them with artist oils and turpentine (burnt sienna) let dry overnight. I then applied Testor's Dullcote Flat Lacqueur to kill the gloss from the oils and did another round of dry brushing with Testor's steel on the tread high points.

7. Pencil on metallics.
Penciled graphite onto edges and areas where I had used the Steel enamel paint. Pencil provides less silver but gives me another range of pure metal tone to work into the model.