November 1, 2005

A "Filter" Wash

After 24 hours, the acrylic gloss clearcoat has dried. I then apply a thin wash of enamel paint. Humbrol Matt #29 (tan) with a heavy wash of Testor's enamel airbrush thinner goes over the entire vehicle via a paintbrush. I then work in more and more tan paint, working it in with the brush. I go panel by panel, because this process introduces streaks. The filter process provides a thin film or veil of tan grime which tones down the contrast, tones down the numbers and gives the tank a dusty warm color. In addition it dries to a dull matt finish taking us out of the realm of the gloss acrylic.

Th weathering is starting to look believable at this point. One filter wash seems to be enough when viewing it in person. I will leave it.

Next up? Potentially some airbrushed dust effects on the lower portions of the tank. and perhaps some select oil wash and rust streaking applied to vertical surfaces.