October 14, 2005

Turret Assembly

The large turret is now shown in an inital fitting. Several mm of plastic needed to be sanded off of the turret floor for a proper fit into the deck. In addition the way the canon mantlet fits into the turret was a bit odd so I opted to cement it into a permanent position. The main gun was rather large (150mm I believe). Several gaps remained after putting the roof ventilators and vision ports on which were then filled with green putty.

A photo ecthed muzzle brake is seen on the end of the gun. It was too wide and I had to cut off about 10mm of metal to get it to fit. Also had to square the end of the canon of with green putty.

Pistol ports on the side of the turret (small ball thingy) needed to be drilled out as did the vision port on the right side of the mantlet (not shown).

At 130 tons, you can really start to see how massive and cumbersome this tank was.

No comments: